Monday, October 13, 2008

Latest Happenings

The quasi-annual camping trip known originally as the "Men and Boys" camping trip was last week. The name is somewhat misleading as now most of my cousins and I are over 21 so it was renamed to the "Old Men and Men" camping trip (to much objection by the old men). This trip has been happening almost evey year ever since I can remember. I'm under the impression it started as a keen way for all the men to get together for a weekend of drinking and bad decisions and that having children meant that if one child came, all of them would come to keep each other busy (sarcasm!). Over the years it has become a great way for us to get together and keep in touch and enjoy the outdoors. As many of 15 of my male cousins and all of my uncles have made it to the woods together for these trips.

There is a lot of history wrapped up in all those trips around the state for long weekends and canoing trips. Now that all the boys are grown up it has become quite a drunken weekend involving fishing, hunting, guns, occasional spear making and throwing competitions and general disregard for smart choices, as seen below.
From Brimey Blowout 08

We were in the town of Brimley in Michigan's upper penninsula this year for a tripped dubbed as the "Brimley Blowout" at Brian Halls barn. Everyone made it home without physical injury which made the trip a success. It was a beautiful weekend and I managed to get some good pics of the setting sun hitting the fall colors. There was a promise to open up the barn every second week in October if we chose to make Brimley the official home of the Old Men and Men trip. I dont think Brian knows what he got himself into.

From Brimey Blowout 08

I can't wait until next year.

1 comment:

Kirk said...

The first picture reminds me of our camping trip this past summer... sans the guns.