Thursday, January 22, 2009

West Michigan Coop

I had my first pick up from the West Michigan Co-op the other day, and it was a great one! I got a lot of great food and everyone there was really nice! After getting lost, walking in the wrong door to the building and consequently walking around like an idiot for a while, I got the hang of things and was able to get all my stuff easily and people were more than willing to help me out and chat about their products.

The Locavore Challenge is sort of on hiatus due to poor planning on the start date (rescheduled for an April/May start) but I am still going to try and eat as local as possible. One of my favorite pick ups was the Blue Majesty potatoes I bought from Funny Farm Organics. I have never seen blue potatoes before. I immediately made mashed potatos with them and sure enough, they taste like potatos....

I will be looking forward to future monthly pick ups especially when the growing season starts and the veggies come in big-time. Until then, I'll see you at McDonald's (just kidding).

4 comments:

Jared W Lynem said...

Yeah given the freshness of what we've had I can't wait until summer. Try the parsnips next month, if they have them: they're like carrots but tastier!!

Michael Motorcycle said...

yea, I bought two pounds this month! I was planning on using them for soup, but I might just steam them up now!

NotAppealing said...

I tried mashing the parsnips in with potatoes, they were a little too sweet. Your potatoes, however, are gorgeous.

Kirk said...

yes mike, your potatoes are absolutely gorgeous. actually, the mash looks like yogurt.