Monday, September 22, 2008

[Insert Clever Title Here]

Today I had my first ever squirrel hunting experience. My roommate Mike and I went out to Cannonsburg state game area and walked around for a while after work. Until now I've only hunted for deer which requires a much higher investment of time and money. This adventure wasn't very productive and I only saw one squirrel and it was on a tree quite far away and it was gone by the time I got to the tree... but I'm determined and plan to spend more time in the woods.

Now before you write me off as some red-neck hillbilly let me explain. I have made a goal for myself this coming year to eat only meat that I kill and butcher. I have a lot of respect for vegetarians but I am not ready to take that step yet and I believe 'normal' meat is healthy for you (not corn-fed fatty beef pumped full of hormones and anti-biotics). I feel bad every time I take an animals life, but isn't that the point? Every time someone pulls into the drive through at McDonald's shouldn't they realize that an animal was killed to provide that meat? I'm proud that I take an active role in the meat that I eat. So I'm trying to fill up my freezer for the winter - I can see I'm going to have to put in some more time in the woods before I can enjoy some squirrel stew.

3 comments:

Kirk said...

Count me in! I'm up for some cow hunting.

Jared W Lynem said...

you're not going to like squirrel. I guess it's pretty nasty tasting...

NotAppealing said...

Woah, this sounds like a cool experiment. Good for you for examining your food sources. If you're in the mood for a long read, about eating locally I recommend Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

End veggie rant.