Monday, September 29, 2008

It's pronounced koh-hoh.

I landed my first Salmon yesterday. It was a 33 inch Coho Salmon and weighed about 18 pounds. I went fishing in the Grand River by Ah-Nab-Awen park with my buddy Brad from Ferris Rugby. On my second cast the salmon hit really hard and I was psyched as soon as I set the hook. It was a hard fought battle for about 20 minutes but after a sore wrist the fish gave up. It's always a good time when the salmon are running because they are in the river so thick you can see their dorsal fins popping out of the river. A re-enactment of my salmon fishing experience can be seen below.


(Thats supposed to be me in the orange!)

The fish I put in the freezer Sunday will help with my quest to challenge myself and eat only meat that I provide. But at this point I am not sure exactly how my challenge is going to pan out or what rules I will hold myself to but I do know this: It will start in whatever form on the first of the year and go on for as long as I care to continue doing it. Thanks to my friend Erin I've got a new book to read: "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver to add to another great book that started me thinking more about what I eat and where it comes from: 'In Defense of Food:An Eaters Manifesto' by Michael Pollen. I can vouch for the Pollen title and I'll let you know more about the other one after I read it, but I bet its going to be good.

1 comment:

NotAppealing said...

That video is hilarious.